The Shocking Truth about Electrical Safety
New in 2012, this curriculum is designed for 4th grade students to learn, know and understand four basic concepts about electrical safety:
- Electricity travels in a closed circuit called a circuit.
- Electricity flows easily through conductors, not through insulators.
- Electricity always takes the easiest path to the ground.
- Water is an excellent conductor of electricity, which means the human body is a good conductor.
The best part of the program is Tri-County Electric comes to the classroom directly to teach the program, and it's free!
See our safety programs page for information on having a safety expert visit your school to educate children about electricity and safety.
Tri-County Electric, a Touchstone Energy cooperative, and Discovery Channel School are pleased to provide you with an educational kit like no other! You and your students will Get Charged! with this comprehensive and exciting set of instructional materials supporting a key-learning standard in every middle/junior high school - electricity.
This kit is correlated to National Science Education Standards and is designed specifically for middle/junior high school students and teachers. It provides a real world understanding of the power and purpose of electricity and includes information about the important role electric cooperatives played in lighting up rural America. There is a comprehensive teacher’s guide along with suggestions on easy integration into your existing curriculum.
Each Get Charged! kit contains the following curriculum materials to help make learning about electricity fun and relevant:
- Poster for classroom use
- Two Videos:
- Understanding: Electricity
- Touchstone Energy’s Our Story
- Interactive CD-ROM featuring Electricity
- Lesson Plan: Get Power - The Cooperative Way
- 10 Student Activity Books
- Electricity Teachers Resource Guide
If you are need of a new Get Charged! kit, contact Erin Moore at (800) 522-3315 ext. 826 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
CFL Charlie Kit
The CFL Charlie Program is another Touchstone Energy product sponsored by Tri-County Electric specifically for your school.
The lessons and activities are designed to meet national learning standards and are recommended for grades K-5. The materials in the kit are designed for kids to become “Super Energy Savers” at the end of the lesson! Lesson Plans include four subjects including activities for each subject:
- Electrical Safety
- Energy Efficiency
- Renewable Energy
Each CFL Charlie kit contains:
- Lesson plans for all four subjects listed above
- 30 take home folders featuring electrical safety tips.
- 30 activity sheets
- 30 checklists for students to take home for an energy evaluation with a parent
- 30 “Super Energy Saver” certificates signed by CFL Charlie for children who complete the home checklist
- 30 Light switch stickers – to remember to turn the lights out!
- 1 classroom poster featuring CFL Charlie providing electrical safety and energy efficiency tips.
- 15 Light Bulb Race Game activity sheets
- Jump drive featuring game “Lights Out,” coloring book pages, light bulb race activity sheets and more! (call or email Erin to schedule the light bulb display for your classroom)
Kits will be distributed to schools early in the 2009-2010 school year. If you have questions, contact Erin Moore at 9800) 522-3315 ext. 826 or e-mail us at email@example.com